If you’re a company or small business owner trying to get copy written for a new marketing project, you might consider hiring a copywriter. Writing ideas on paper is not the same as selling through writing. Copywriting sells a product or service through the power of words. Hiring a copywriter in your niche or industry is probably one of the most important things you can do for your business. And by testing these 7 ways, you’ll increase profits and raise brand awareness. Use these 7 guidelines as a point of reference to see if your copywriter knows what it takes to connect with your prospect from the inside-out.
1. They use the power of stories. Yes, stories. Stories help your prospect break through that initial resistance of dealing with a salesy email. The minute your prospect reads a relatable story, that story will bring down the natural resistance and it breaks through defenses by catching the buyer off guard. Stories need to have heros which represents the readers and they solve the problem for the hero by talking about the product.
2. They make the copy look inviting. Punctuation adds visual diversity and interest by
creating some white space within paragraphs. As a result, the copy is less intimidating to read. Good copywriters know how to inject the kind of natural inflections and pauses people use when they talk … making letters read in a much more conversational way.
3. They write with passion. As Mark Morgan Ford once said, “it isn’t enough to write like you talk. If you want to ‘sell’ your prospect, you’ve got to get fired up about your product or service. Then you’ve got to put that passion down on paper.”
Copywriters can’t make up passion. They actually feel it towards whatever it is they’re selling in words. (Tip As a copywriter, I study products and list all its good qualities. I answer the question: How is it going to help people? In what way is it going to save them time and money? Why is it really the best product on the market?
4. They connect first with the prospect’s emotional desires BEFORE describing the features that appeal to the prospect’s logic. They realize they must sell with benefits then rationalize the buying decision with features.
Michael Masterson teaches us to go beyond features and benefits and include what he calls the ‘deeper benefit,’ which is how the product can change the prospect’s life.” – Bob Bly
5. They know what it takes to do the heavy-lifting that is required of them to connect with their prospects’ emotions and logic. (Note: This is not as easy as it looks!) They’ve gotten to know the product, the mindset and the problems as they think of the solutions.
6. They know how to get the message across in short punchy sentences. Writing for the web is nothing like writing for a print or scholarly journal. Your prospect has to decide quickly. They need easy-to-read copy with energy and focus that keeps the prospect reading.
BOTTOM LINE: In today’s economy, direct response copy is needed more than ever before, but to remain in the business has become super competitive. Your company or organization needs every tool in the box to stand above the crowd. Hiring a professional copywriter who can connect with your prospect from the inside-out may be just the thing your business needs to survive AND thrive.
SO…if you’ve been on the fence about hiring a professional copywriter, I’m here to help! Click HERE to learn more about my copywriting services and if you feel I’m a good fit, click HERE for your complimentary 15 minute strategy session on how I can help your business SOAR.