There’s a huge demand for copywriters who can write engaging sales copy for brochures, ebooks, ebooklets, book blurbs, promo materials and mainly through digital platforms.
And yet, the copywriting market is both competitive and demanding. You need to use language creatively to connect with a wide range of different audiences. You can make very good money as a copywriter. The key of course, is knowing how to write sales copy without the reader feeling like s/he being sold.
Here’s five things you must know if you are going to be a good copywriter:
1. A flair for editorial copy. Do you know how to bring stories to life? Are you fertile with great ideas? Stories are the backbone of any good copy. They bring pointers and examples to life. Stories stick in our heads. We may not remember all the features of the product, but we’ll remember the stories.
2. Knowledge of tone and quality which are essential for the platforms you might be writing for. You need to delight and inspire, not to give the hard sell. As I mentioned earlier, you need to write the copy without making the reader feeling s/he is being sold at.
3. Some knowledge of the industry you are writing for. If you look at the job boards, each industry has its own copywriting needs. That’s because you are writing to an informed audience who has some interest in the product or service you may be writing about. If you are responding to these job boards, make it clear to the editor or hiring manager that you have experience in this area. For example, if you don’t have experience writing copy for the steel industry but you still have copywriting experience, think again. They might appreciate your experience but prefer someone who also has insider knowledge.
4. Writing for a specific brands. Companies are constantly working to improve their brands and chances are, your work would be featured on a range of branded digital platforms and audiences including the company’s blog, newsletters and website. This brings me to the fifth and final point.
5. Knowledge of the online media landscape. Writing online copy needs to appeal to online audience who has such a short attention span. Companies are constantly developing their digital strategy as the media landscape evolves.
As you can see, being a good copywriter requires finding innovative ways to reach people using your online media skills and knowledge.
My FREE 6 Day E-Course, “Blog Your Book and Make Money!” will help you. Each “lesson” will be delivered straight to your inbox. Simply fill out the fields on the form to the right hand side of this blog’s page. Your first “lesson” will be delivered within minutes!